Microdermabrasion is a skin-rejuvenation procedure that uses crystals or specialized equipment to remove the topmost layers of the skin. It’s an effective way to achieve younger, glowing skin in just one treatment. This article will explain microdermabrasion, its procedure, and its advantages!
What Is It?
Microdermabrasion is a skin-refining procedure that uses crystals, pads, or gels to gently remove dead skin cells from the surface of your face. It’s also known as microdermabrasion therapy and can be used on both men and women.
Different types of microdermabrasion are available: manual (with a handheld tool), laser-assisted and chemical peels. But despite their differences, they all have the same goal: smoother, brighter skin by removing surface imperfections like fine lines, acne scars, and discoloration while stimulating collagen production deep within your epidermis.
How Does Microdermabrasion Work?
Microdermabrasion is a non-invasive, safe, and efficient procedure that uses a diamond tip to remove the outer layer of skin gently. The diamond tip vibrates at high speeds, which helps to exfoliate dead skin cells and resurface your face, leaving you with younger-looking skin by removing imperfections such as acne scars or wrinkles.
What Are The Benefits of Microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion is the process of using a mechanical device to remove dead skin cells and help promote new cell growth. It also treats acne scars, sun damage, pore size, and hyperpigmentation.
The benefits of microdermabrasion include:
- Improved skin texture.
- Reduced fine lines and wrinkles.
- Improved skin tone and texture – This can be achieved through microdermabrasion because it stimulates collagen production in your skin, which helps reduce the appearance of fine lines or wrinkles by plumping up the surface layers of your face or the epidermis.
- Decreased pore size.
- Minimized acne scars.
- Eliminated brown spots.
Who can benefit from microdermabrasion treatment?
Microdermabrasion is a non-invasive procedure that can be used to improve the appearance of your skin. It’s great for anyone who wants to look their best, but it’s beneficial for people with acne or sun damage. Microdermabrasion treatments also improve fine lines and wrinkles, hyperpigmentation (a skin condition characterized by brown spots), clogged pores, and dullness of the complexion.
If you’re interested in having this treatment done at home or by a professional, here are some essential things to keep in mind:
- Always use products recommended by your doctor or dermatologist after microdermabrasion treatments so you don’t undo any progress made during treatment sessions.
Preparation for a microdermabrasion procedure
Make sure you’re well prepared before your microdermabrasion procedure.
- Do not use any products on your skin for 24 hours before the procedure; these include makeup, moisturizers, and anti-aging serums/creams. If you must apply an effect, wait until after the treatment and then wash it off with warm water and soap immediately afterward (this will help remove any dead skin cells).
- Please do not take painkillers or anti-inflammatory drugs for 24 hours before or immediately after the procedure. These include ibuprofen (Advil), acetaminophen (Tylenol), or aspirin; if necessary, take an alternative such as paracetamol instead, which does not inhibit blood clotting as much as these other medications do but still provides some relief from pain without affecting healing rates negatively as ibuprofen does! It would help to avoid alcohol during this time since it increases bleeding.
The process for a microdermabrasion treatment
During the procedure, the technician will move the device over the skin in a back-and-forth motion, paying particular attention to any areas of concern. Microdermabrasion typically takes 30 to 60 minutes, depending on the size of treatment areas and the severity of the skin issues being addressed.
After the procedure, the skin may be slightly pink or red and feel tight or dry; this is normal and should dissipate within a few hours. It is vital to protect the skin from the sun and avoid using harsh skin care products for a few days after the procedure. Additionally, you should follow aftercare instructions from your provider.
Aftercare following a microdermabrasion treatment
Aftercare is essential following a microdermabrasion treatment to ensure excellent results and decrease the risk of complications. Here are some general guidelines to follow after a microdermabrasion treatment:
- Protect your skin from the sun: The skin may be more sensitive to the sun after a microdermabrasion treatment, so it is vital to wear sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 or higher and prevent excessive sun exposure for at least a week after the treatment.
- Keep the skin moisturized: The skin may feel dry or tight after a microdermabrasion treatment, so it is crucial to keep it moisturized with a gentle, non-comedogenic moisturizer.
- Avoid harsh skincare products: Avoid using harsh skincare products such as retinoids, glycolic acid, or benzoyl peroxide for a few days after the treatment to avoid irritation.
- Don’t pick at the skin: Avoid picking or scratching at the skin, as this can increase the risk of infection and scarring.
- Avoid excessive sweating: Avoid excessive sweating or activities that may cause excessive sweating for 24-48 hours after the treatment, as this can increase the risk of irritation and infection.
- Avoid makeup for at least 24 hours: Avoid applying makeup for at least 24 hours after the treatment to allow the skin to heal fully.
- Follow any additional instructions provided by the technician: The technician may give further instructions based on your specific skin type and the severity of the treatment, so be sure to follow their advice.
Side effects of microdermabrasion
If you’re considering microdermabrasion, knowing that side effects are rare is essential. However, they can include the following:
- Exfoliation: Microdermabrasion exfoliates the outer layer of dead skin cells, which can improve the skin’s texture and tone.
- Improved skin tone and texture: By removing dead skin cells, microdermabrasion can reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and age spots. It can also improve skin texture by making it smoother and softer.
- Reduction in acne scarring: Microdermabrasion can help reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation and acne scars by promoting cell turnover and encouraging the growth of new, healthy skin cells.
- Enhanced skin penetration: By removing the outer layer of dead skin cells, microdermabrasion can help skincare products penetrate deeper into the skin, increasing their effectiveness.
- Stimulated collagen production: Microdermabrasion can help stimulate collagen production, improving the skin’s elasticity and firmness.
Microdermabrasion is a practical, non-surgical way to achieve younger, glowing skin.
Microdermabrasion is a non-invasive procedure that uses fine crystals to gently remove the outermost layer of skin, which helps to resurface your complexion, giving you a younger look and feel.
Microdermabrasion uses crystals (usually diamond or aluminum oxide) to gently buff away the top layer of dead skin cells on your face, revealing fresh new ones underneath. This process can also help reduce acne scars, blemishes, and wrinkles.
SMB Healthcare LLC DBA Bloom Med Spa can provide an excellent microdermabrasion service. Contact them today and indulge in the benefits of microdermabrasion.