Dermal fillers are among the most widely used non-surgical anti-aging procedures. Why? The treatment can instantly reduce the appearance of facial wrinkles and folds without invasive surgery and without injections into the muscle.
Dermal fillers increase the skin’s volume and smooth out wrinkles and creases by injecting a smooth, gel-like material into the skin. The goal of dermal fillers is to restore a youthful, refreshed appearance to the face, often with immediate results. Dermal fillers are a popular option for those trying to restore their appearance and slow the signs of aging since they may treat various issues, from fine lines to deeper wrinkles.
If you have been looking into dermal fillers and thinking of using them, here’s everything you need to know.
What are dermal fillers?
Dermal fillers are a cosmetic procedure that uses injectable materials to add volume to the skin. They are used to correct facial lines and wrinkles or to add volume to a part of the body that has lost volume.
Dermal fillers are injected into the layers of skin using tiny needles that match the patient’s needs. The filler material is carefully placed into the targeted area, filling in wrinkles and hollows and restoring volume to the face. The process is quick, minimally invasive, and does not require general anesthesia. You may feel discomfort when the needle is inserted, but many people find the procedure relatively painless.
Dermal fillers can be used anywhere on the face or body, depending on your needs. Fillers can be used to:
- Soften lines around the mouth and nose.
- Add volume to the cheeks and chin.
- Lift sagging jowls, which often happens with age.
- Reduce smile lines (also called “nasolabial folds”) between your nose and mouth; these usually form when you smile over time because they don’t have much fat tissue, so it’s easier for them to show.
What are the types of dermal fillers?
Various dermal fillers are designed to address different areas and concerns of the face. The types of dermal fillers include:
- Hyaluronic acid fillers, such as Revanesse® Versa™, add volume to the face, smooth fine lines and wrinkles, and enhance the lips.
- Calcium hydroxyapatite fillers, such as RADIESSE®, are often used to restore volume to the cheeks and jawline and smooth nasolabial folds.
- Poly-L-lactic acid fillers are designed to stimulate collagen production and are often used for facial contouring and restoring cheeks volume.
- Polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA) fillers are used to treat deep wrinkles and to provide facial contouring.
Each type of dermal filler has unique properties and benefits, and a professional practitioner can recommend the best filler to meet an individual’s specific needs.
At Bloom MedSpa, we utilize Revanesse® Versa™ and RADIESSE® for our patient’s needs. The recommended use for each type of dermal filler depends on the individual patient’s needs and desired results. For example, Revanesse® Versa™ may be recommended for restoring volume and hydration to the skin, while RADIESSE® may be recommended for an immediate lifting effect and stimulation of collagen production. We will help determine the best type of filler for you based on your unique needs and desired outcomes.
What are the benefits of dermal fillers?
Many people choose to have fillers to improve their appearance without having surgery. Here are some of the benefits of dermal fillers:
- Dermal fillers add volume to the face where it has been lost due to aging or other factors.
- They help smooth out lines and wrinkles, restoring a youthful appearance. It is particularly true for the deep lines that can develop around the mouth and eyes and creases in the forehead and cheeks. By adding volume to these areas, dermal fillers help to reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles, giving the face a more rested, refreshed look.
- Dermal fillers not only improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles but also help restore volume to the face where it has been lost. It can help to enhance facial contours, improve symmetry, and give the face a more youthful appearance.
- Dermal fillers can plump the cheeks, fill in hollows under the eyes, or restore volume to the temples and jawline.
- One of the most significant benefits of dermal fillers is that they often produce immediate results. After a treatment session, patients can see a noticeable improvement in the appearance of their lines and wrinkles.
- The results are typically long-lasting, with most patients experiencing a noticeable improvement for six months to a year, depending on the dermal filler used and the individual’s skin type.
- Fillers can also be used for scar treatment; for example, a hyaluronic acid gel is often injected into scars caused by acne – this helps them fade away faster and reduces redness around them.
How are dermal fillers administered?
Dermal fillers are usually administered through small injections with a fine needle. The injection process usually takes a few minutes and is performed in our medspa.
During the procedure, a healthcare professional at Bloom MedSpa will clean the area to be treated and then use a fine needle to inject the filler under the skin. Most people only feel slight discomfort when the needle is inserted into their skin, but the pain is minimal and temporary.
The expertise of the person administering the dermal fillers is crucial for ensuring a safe and effective treatment. Our healthcare professionals have the training and experience in dermal fillers to carefully assess the patient’s needs and determine the best type of filler and amount to be used for optimal results. We will also be able to decide on the best injection techniques for each patient, taking into account factors such as the location of the lines and wrinkles, the thickness of the skin, and the patient’s personal preferences.
It is essential to choose a reputable and qualified healthcare professional specializing in dermal fillers and who has experience in administering them. It will help ensure safe and effective treatment and the best possible outcome for the patient.
Are there any dermal filler side effects?
Some of the most common side effects include redness, swelling, bruising, and pain or tenderness at the injection site. These side effects are usually mild and resolve independently within a few days.
The severity of these side effects depends on the individual and the type of dermal filler used. Some people may experience more swelling or bruising than others, but these side effects are generally not serious and will subside on their own. If you experience any persistent or severe side effects, it’s essential to contact your healthcare provider.
While rare, more severe side effects can occur with dermal fillers. These may include an allergic reaction, infection, or embolism. If you experience difficulty breathing, chest pain, or an irregular heartbeat, it’s essential to seek medical attention immediately. Your healthcare provider can help determine if these symptoms are related to the dermal filler and what steps you should take to manage them.
Ready to try out dermal fillers?
Dermal fillers are great for people who want to improve their appearance without surgery. The procedure is relatively simple and can be done in-office. Before having a filler injection, it’s important to discuss your options with your healthcare provider so they can recommend the best treatment plan for your needs and goals.
Make an appointment for a consultation at Bloom MedSpa right away if you’re thinking about getting dermal fillers. You’ll get the chance to speak with our team of medical experts, have your questions addressed, and go through your options for getting the outcomes you want.